New Castle County, DE, is the northernmost of the three counties of the U.S. state of Delaware. The county seat is Wilmington. It is the most affluent of the three counties in the state of Delaware. In addition it is the smallest in area but largest in population.
On September 22, 1676, New Castle County was formally placed under the Duke of York's laws. It gained land from Upland County on November 12, 1678. Four years later, on June 21, 1680, St. Jones County was carved from New Castle County. It is known today as Kent County, Delaware.
On August 24, 1682, New Castle County was transferred from the Colony of New York to the possession of William Penn, who established the Colony of Delaware.
Kent County, DE is located in the middle section of Delaware, below New Castle and above Sussex counties. In the 1670's the English began to settle in the valley of the St. Jones River, earlier known as Wolf Creek, and in 1680 St. Jones County was chartered.
St. Jones County was transferred to William Penn in 1682, and became part of Penn's newly chartered Delaware Colony. Penn ordered a court town to be laid out, and courthouse built in 1697.
The town of Dover, named after Dover in Kent, England, was finally laid out in 1717, and became the capitol of Delaware in 1777.
Sussex County, DE, was first settled by the Dutch in the early 17th century. So is the birth of Delaware history, as the town of Lewes was founded as a Dutch whaling colony in 1631. That first European settlement gives Lewes its claim to fame of being the 'First Town in the First State' and makes Sussex County the birthplace of what would become present-day Delaware.
Sussex County is named for the County of Sussex in England, which was the home of Colonial proprietor William Penn.
Today the County is diverse in both its riches and its lifestyles. It is home to numerous seaside resorts, small towns, industry, and agriculture. Along the coast, tourism is strong in the quaint and tony resort beach towns. Western Sussex County, meantime, is the backbone of Delaware's agriculture industry.
Bryn Mawr, which means "big hill" in Welsh, is named after an estate near Dolgellau in North Wales that belonged to Rowland Ellis. He was a Quaker who emigrated in 1686 to Pennsylvania from Dolgellau to escape religious persecution.
The "Bryn Mawr" zip code (19010) covers a larger area, and as a result, the geographic term "Bryn Mawr" is often used in a sense that includes not only the CDP, but also other areas that share the zip code. These other areas include the community of Rosemont within Lower Merion Township and Radnor Township, and various other areas within Lower Merion Township, Radnor Township, and Haverford Township. Bryn Mawr is a part of the Philadelphia Main Line, a string of picturesque towns located along a rail road that leads to downtown Philadelphia.
Allentown, PA Located in Lehigh County on the Lehigh River, it is Pennsylvania's third most populous city, after Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and the 222nd largest city in the United States.
Allentown is 50 miles (80 km) north of Philadelphia, 80 miles (130 km) east of Harrisburg, the state capital, and 90 miles (140 km) west of New York City.
Two four-year colleges, Cedar Crest College and Muhlenberg College, are located in Allentown. Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, a very popular amusement park, is located just outside of the city.
Commercial airline service to and from the city is available through Lehigh Valley International Airport (LVIA). General aviation and charter service is offered by LVIA and Allentown Queen City Municipal Airport.
Bucks County, PA is part of the Delaware Valley area. Named after the English county of Buckinghamshire where William Penn lived, it’s county seat is Doylestown. As of 2010, the population was 625,249, which makes Bucks the fourth most populous county in Pennsylvania (after Philadelphia, Allegheny, and Montgomery counties).
Bucks County was one of the three original counties in Pennsylvania. Place names in Bucks County derived from places in Buckinghamshire include Buckingham, Chalfont (named after Chalfont St Giles), Wycombe and Solebury (spelled Soulbury in England). Buckingham was the former county town of Buckinghamshire; Buckingham, PA, was the county seat of Bucks County from 1705–1726. Chalfont St. Giles in Buckinghamshire was the parish home of William Penn's first wife, and the location of the Jordans Quaker Meeting House, where Penn is buried.
Sea Isle City, NJ, located in Cape May County, is a popular beach community and destination for visitors that offers an array of entertainment options. The main attraction is is its pristine shoreline, however, beyond the miles of clean beaches, time on the sand is only one of many attractions which include state-of-the-art recreation facilities, notable historical sites, Beachcomber Guided Tours and a 1.5-mile long oceanfront Promenade, which features shops, eateries, arcades and breath-taking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
At night, Sea Isle’s outdoor Band Shell, located in the heart of the downtown beachfront district, you’ll find free entertainment throughout the summer months, including weekly Concerts, Family Dance Parties, Movies Under the Stars and the popular “Sea Isle City’s Got Talent” Contests.
Sea Isle is also a haven for sportsmen and nature lovers. Anglers and birders alike enjoy Sea Isle’s waterways and wetlands.
East Rutherford, NJ, a borough of Bergen County, has a population of approximately 8,900 and is located 7 miles west of Midtown Manhattan.
Home of the Meadowlands Sports Complex, which includes the Izod Center for concerts and other entertainment events; and MetLife Stadium, home of the National Football League's New York Giants and New York Jets and the site of Super Bowl XLVIII, which made East Rutherford the smallest city ever to host a Super Bowl, and the site of WrestleMania 29. East Rutherford is the only municipality with fewer than 10,000 residents to have been home to five professional sports teams simultaneously.
The borough is the site of the American Dream Meadowlands project, a large planned shopping center and entertainment complex that was originally named "Xanadu".
The Town of Ocean View is located one mile inland from Bethany Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. Founded in 1688 and incorporated on April 13, 1889, Ocean View was originally known as Hall’s Store.
Since the 1970s, Ocean View has undergone a transformation from a farming community to a retirement community. Ocean View has 1882 year round residents. During the summer season, the population doubles with tourists and part-time residents.
While Ocean View’s population has grown in the last decade, it continues to offer a small town atmosphere, and attracts people from many areas of the nation.
Among Ocean View’s hidden gems is John West Park. Located between West Avenue and Central Avenue, the park offers recreational opportunities for all ages. During the summer, the park is a Mecca for children and families to play, picnic and just relax.